personal journey

This was a journal of my progress through the book "The Purpose Driven Life"...after having read the book, I know that I've only begun to learn about God's plan for my life.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Day 4

Chapter Four: Made to Last Forever

The most profound statements in this chapter are:

When you fully comprehend that there is more to life than just here and now, and you realize that life is just preparation for eternity, you will begin to live differently. You will start living in light of eternity, and that will color how you handle every relationship, task, and circumstance...when you live in light of eternity your values change. -Rick Warren

I can see how different I am now that I have accepted Christ as my savior. My behaviors are different, and I am not the "same person" that I was 5 years ago. I have made new friends who are Christ-centered, and some of my older friends are starting to fade away because I have different values than they do now. This is just from being born again. And as my journey continues I find that the closer I become to God, the farther away I am to my earthly ties.

For us this is the end of all the stories...But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All thier life in this world...had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which no one on earth has read, which goes on forever and in which every chapter is better than the one before. -C.S. Lewis

I love this because it depicts a great adventure yet to come. Caleb and I always say that we want to go on an adventure together...the thought that eternity is an adventure yet to come gives me a sense of anticipation rather than dread. When I watched The Return of the King, I recognized Gandulf's reference to heaven when he was speaking to Pippin as the Orcs were destroying Dol Amroth. Tolkein and Lewis were good friends. I enjoy the references of God, Jesus, and heaven that they make in their literature.

Point to Ponder: There is more to live than just here and now.

Verse to Remember: 1 John 2:17 This world is fading away, along with everything it craves. But if you do the will of God, you will live forever.

Question to Consider: Since I was made to last forever, what is the one thing I should stop doing and the one thing that I should start doing today?

This is worse than a New Year's resolution...

The one thing that I should stop doing is worrying.

The one thing that I should start doing is being more confident.

Subscribe to Bible-Reading
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Website Counters