personal journey

This was a journal of my progress through the book "The Purpose Driven Life"...after having read the book, I know that I've only begun to learn about God's plan for my life.

Friday, April 22, 2005

Day 18

Chapter Eighteen: Experiencing Life Together

Authentic fellowship is not superficial, surface level chit-chat. It is genuine, heart-to-heart, sometimes gut-level, sharing. -Rick Warren

I can't even begin to express the depth of which I have yearned for this type of interaction with other people.

Sympathy meets two fundamental human needs: the need to be understood, and the need to have your feelings validated. Everytime you understand and affirm someone's feelings, you build fellowship. -Rick Warren

The word 'sympathy' in this text is used instead of 'empathy' as 'sympathy' is a biblical word. Regardless, it is important to me to know that this type of fellowship is what God wants me to experience with other believers.

Many people are reluctant to show mercy because they don't understand the difference between trust and forgiveness. Forgiveness is letting go of the past. Trust has to do with future behavior. Forgiveness must be immediate, whether or not a person asks for it. Turst must be rebuilt over time. Turst requires a track record. If someone hurts you repeatedly, you are commanded by God to forgive them instantly, but you are not expected to trust them immediately, and you are not expected to continue allowing them to hurt you. -Rick Warren

This is HUGE. For me, I am one of those who has misunderstood the trust/ forgiveness combination. Holding on to hurt, and not forgiving because I cannot trust the person who has hurt me. Knowing that trust and forgiveness do not go hand in hand...makes forgiving much easier. Knowing that I do not have to allow myself to trust someone right away, or that they have to prove their trustworthiness to me because of the fact that they hurt me...also knowing that I don't have to ALLOW myself to be hurt is another important thing to know.

Point to Ponder: I need others in my life.

Verse to Remember: Galatians 6:2 Share each other's troubles and problems, and in this way obey the law of Christ.

Question to Consider: What one step can I take today to connect with another believer at a more genuine heart to heart level?

Well, considering our attendance at church has been rather sporadic...I will need to establish my committment to attending church. I already know that small study groups are offered, and I have been interested in attending one of those groups. However, I already know a believer who emails me a verse every day...and I haven't actually cultivated that friendship, though I have wanted to. If I think about it I have many options for connecting with other believers...

Subscribe to Bible-Reading
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Website Counters