personal journey

This was a journal of my progress through the book "The Purpose Driven Life"...after having read the book, I know that I've only begun to learn about God's plan for my life.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Day 22

Chapter Twenty-two: Created to Become Like Christ

The desire to be a god shows up evert time we try to control our circumstances, our future, and people around us. But as creatures we will never be the Creator. God doesn't want you to become a god; he wants you to become godly--taking on his values, attitudes and character. -Rick Warren

I think that this is important to remember because so often I find myself trying to control the situations around me, the people around me, everything...and I become so frustrated when things don't go 'my way'...this is me trying to be a god, which is an impossibility...so humbling myself and allowing myself to not be a god, actually releases me from the worry of trying so hard at something impossible.

Becoming like Christ does not mean losing your personality or becoming a mindless clone. God created your uniqueness, so he certainly doesn't want to destroy it. -Rick Warren

This is funny, because this is e.x.a.c.t.l.y. how I viewed Christianity...mindless clones. But knowing that isn't the goal is comforting. I can be myself, but better than who I was...my values are what God wants me to emulate from Christ.

Never forget that life is not about you! You exist for God's purposes, not vice versa. Why would God provide heaven on earth when he's planned the real thing for you in eternity? God gives us our time on earth to build and strengthen our character for heaven. -Rick Warren

This is another point many people have a problem with, myself included. I have [in the past] believed that being a Christian meant that things would come easier for me...nice car, nice home, nice family...etc...I know now that isn't the case. Christians suffer trials just as everyone else. The difference is in the knowing that there is a reason for those trials...they aren't just arbitrary or chaotic happenings...

Point to Ponder: I was created to become like Christ.

Verse to Remember: 2 Corinthians 3:18b As the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him and reflect his glory even more.

Question to Consider: In what area of my life do I need to ask for the Spirit's power to be like Christ today?

Very recently I was in a disagreement with someone close to me. They didn't like a decision I made to allow room for forgiveness for someone who had hurt our family. This person who had hurt our family is also an extended family member. I have not excluded this person from family functions, or anything like that. I have essentially decided to not hold a grudge, in hopes that someday they will see that their actions were hurtful not helpful. At any rate, the person I am close with became very upset that I had invited both her and this other person to the same function...and I think that it surprised her that I had been associating with this person.
I think that for me, I need to be more sensitive to other people's feelings in that I expect them to see things the same way that I do. They are all suppose to be Christians, but I think that their claim to Christianity is out of convenience...and I have not been understanding of that. I think that Christ would have seen the situation and been more sensitve to those he knew would be involved and hurt by this scenario.
I know I become frustrated when people don't see things 'my way'...even if I try to explain. I know that I see things differently, and I want others to have the same realizations...but it doesn't happen that way very often...

Subscribe to Bible-Reading
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Website Counters