personal journey

This was a journal of my progress through the book "The Purpose Driven Life"...after having read the book, I know that I've only begun to learn about God's plan for my life.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Day 6

Chapter Six: Life is a Temporary Assignment

This was another very good chapter, and answers the question of why bad things happen to good people--even faithful Christians....

The fact that earth is not our ultimate home explains why, as followers of Jesus, we experience difficulty, sorrow, and rejection in this world. It also explains why some of God's promises seem unfulfilled, some prayers unanswered, and some circumstances unfair. This is not the end of the story.
In order to keep us from becoming too attached to earth, God allows us to feel a significant amount of discontent and dissatisfaction in life--longing that will never be fulfilled on this side of eternity. We're not completely happy here because we're not suppose to be! Earth is not our final home; we were created for something much better. -Rick Warren

For me, the above two paragraphs really hit home as to why everything seems to be such a trial. Because it IS a trial...a test...and I am suppose to suffer those trials because I am being prepared for something much better. It makes much more sense than everything being random and I have difficult times because that is just what chance afforded me as a human being. Or worse, I have difficult times because I just don't DO enough to turn it around.

When life gets tough, when you're overwhelmed with doubt, or when you wonder if living for Christ is worth the effort, remember that you are not home yet. At death you won't leave home--you'll go home. -Rick Warren

For me, the above statement is pretty profound. Especially since I have asked myself the question many times over--when will I have a home?
I've never been "at home" anywhere or any time in my life. Always a feeling of displacement. I had always attributed that to my personality...and lack of being able to "get close" to others no matter how hard I try. Perhaps I was looking at it all wrong.

Point to Ponder: The world is not my home.

Verse to Remember: 2 Corinthians 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Question to Consider: How should the fact that life on earth is just a temporary assignment change the way I am living right now?

I could definitely benefit from not worrying so much about pleasing others, or having material possessions. It seems like I have wasted a lot of my life trying to gain the approval from the wrong individuals.

I should also be free of worry. Since this is all temporary, and it will eventually end and I will travel on to a much better place...I don't have the pressure to get it all done, to do it all, see it all...etc. God has put me here in this place for a reason, and I can just let that happen--whatever it may be.




Subscribe to Bible-Reading
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Website Counters