personal journey

This was a journal of my progress through the book "The Purpose Driven Life"...after having read the book, I know that I've only begun to learn about God's plan for my life.

Monday, May 23, 2005

Day 27

Chapter Twenty-seven: Defeating Temptation

With every passing chapter I realize that my distractions have been keeping me from reading this information. Information that I need in order to grow closer in Christ. Something that Satan doesn't want me to do...

Every time you try to block out a thought, you drive it deeper into memory. -Rick Warren

Since temptation always begins with a thought, the quickest way to neutralize its allure is to turn your attention to something else. Don't fight the thought, just change the channel of your mind and get interested in another idea. This is the first step in defeating temptation. -Rick Warren

It is very true that the more I resolve to change something, or not think of something...the more I think of it. The phrase "resistence is futile" can mean so much more now...

Some temptations are only overcome with the help of a partner who prays for you, encourages you, and holds you accountable. -Rick Warren

The reason we hide our faults is pride. We want others to think we have evertying "under control." The truth is, whatever you can't talk about is already out of control in your life: problems with your finance, marriage, kids, thoughts, sexuality, secret habits or anything else. -Rick Warren

I generally find that if something is difficult to talk about it is because I am embarrassed...which is pride based...and most often it is something that is hurting me deeply.


You can't bluff Satan with logic or opinion, but you can use the weapon that makes him tremble--the truth of God. This is why memorizing Scripture is essential to defeating temptation. -Rick Warren

It is frightening to me that Satan is real. I mean...pure evil willing and ready to overcome me and keep me from God. Thankfully God gave us everything we need to know to thwart Satan's plans.

Don't carelessly place yurself in tempting situations. Avoid them. Remember that it is easier to stay out of temptation than to get out of it. -Rick Warren

I wish that I could give this advice out to everyone. I mean...I know people who purposely seek out temptation, as though they thrive on the thrill of possibility. It is frightening to see them walk on the edge like that when so much could be at stake. It is even more frightening because I used to do the same thing...and I know where I could be now had it not been for grace.

Point to Ponder: There is always a way out.

Verse to Remember:
1 Corinthians 10:13b God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it.

Question to Consider: Who could I ask to be a spiritual partner to help me defeat a persistent temptation by praying for me?

I think that this is the hardest question that could be asked of me right now. I really don't know. I really want to be a part of a small bible study group...but my church has not contacted me back yet on this. I really want to be in touch with more Christians, and have a community with them, but I really don't know where to begin...

Subscribe to Bible-Reading
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Website Counters