personal journey

This was a journal of my progress through the book "The Purpose Driven Life"...after having read the book, I know that I've only begun to learn about God's plan for my life.

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Day 29

Chapter Twenty-nine: Accepting Your Assignment

You were created to add to life on earth, not just take from it. God wants you to give something back. This is God's fourth purpose for your life, and it is called your "ministry", or service. -Rick Warren

Being a Christian is not easy work...and starts the moment you are saved...

Another term for serving God that's misunderstood by most people is the word "ministry". When most people hear "ministry" they think of pastors, priests, and professional clergy, but God says every member of his family is a minister. In the Bible the words servant and minister are synonyms, as are service and ministry. -Rick Warren

I think that this is a difficult concept for many Christians. They feel that the responsibility is on the pastor's shoulders, when in fact it is all of our responsibility to minister.


One day God will compare how much time and energy we spent on ourselves compared with what we invested in serving others. At that point, all our excuses for self-centeredness will sound hollow. -Rick Warren

Recently a friend of mine imparted a great wisdom to me...which I find interesting that it goes right along with what I have read today..."If you cannot do, help the ones who can". I had never thought of doing this, to be honest. I have the inclination to always want to be the one who is doing...never to be behind the scenes. This has caused me a lot of heartache..and is something that I need to let go.

Point to Ponder: Service is not optional.

Verse to Remember: Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God perpared in advance for us to do.

Question to Consider: What is holding me back from accepting God's call to serve him?

The only thing I can think of that would be holding me back is my own pride.

Subscribe to Bible-Reading
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Website Counters