personal journey

This was a journal of my progress through the book "The Purpose Driven Life"...after having read the book, I know that I've only begun to learn about God's plan for my life.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Day 30

Chapter Thirty: Shaped for Serving God

I have been waiting a while for this chapter. I really want to gain some insight as to what God wants me to do with my talents. More specifically...how do I figure out what my talents are...


God never wastes anything. He would not give you abilities, interests, gifts, personality, and life experiences unless he intended to use them for his glory. By identifying and understanding these factors you can discover God's will for your life. -Rick Warren

I sometimes feel overwhelmed because I seem to have too many interests...I can't pinpoint one thing that I really love to do.


Your spiritual gifts were not given for your onw benefit but for the benefit of others, just as other people were given gifts for your benefit. -Rick Warren

My question remains, what gifts do I have that benefit others?!
Whenever we forget these basic truths about gifts, it always causes trouble in the church. Two common problems are "gift envy" and "gift projection". The first occurs when we compare our gifts with others', feel dissatisfied with what God gave us, and become resentful and jealous of how God uses others. -Rick Warren

How many times have I felt so inadequate and small because I cannot sing? To the point of stinging tears during a church service because my voice does not sound beautiful. My hands do not play the piano, and I am not called to sing. How many times have I felt resentment because I feel that there is no place for someone like me...because I don't sing, act, or play an instrument. And those are the talents that everyone acknowledges.

How do you nkow when you are serving God from your heart? The first tell tale sign is enthusiasm. When you are doing what you love to do, no one has to motivate you or challenge you or check up on you. -Rick Warren

I wish I knew...

When you don't have a heart for what you're doing, you are easily discouraged. -Rick Warren

This can easily be stated for most of my employment. The only thing I truly liked doing was teaching CPR and First Aid through the American Red Cross and volunteering--and white water rafting...see what I mean?

Point to Ponder:
I was shaped for serving God

Verse to Remember: 1 Corinthians 12:6 God works thorugh different men in different ways, but it is the same God who achieves his purposes through them all.

Question to Consider:
In what way can I see myself passionately serving others and loving it?

Right now I honestly don't know...I mean, I am 33 years old and I still do not know what my "talents" are. I don't know what I love to do. I don't spend time thinking about what it is I like to do, I just live life and it seems to happen around me. Whatever comes my way, that is what I do. I haven't ever chosen to do something because I loved to do it. Most of my decisions have been based on what has to be done.

Subscribe to Bible-Reading
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Website Counters