personal journey

This was a journal of my progress through the book "The Purpose Driven Life"...after having read the book, I know that I've only begun to learn about God's plan for my life.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Day 34

Chapter Thirty-Four: Thinking Like a Servant

Servants think more about others than about themselves.

When we stop focusing on our own needs, we become aware of the needs around us. -Rick Warren

How true is this. I know that I get so caught up in me me me. Sometimes I have to kick myself and remember that there is a whole world of people around me with needs of their own.

Servants think like stewards now owners.

Money has the greatest potential to replace God in your life. More people are sidetracked from serving by materialism than by anything else. -Rick Warren

Other than the occasional depression driven splurge, I have no problem giving up things, or not having things, or not having money to buy things. I have become less interested in labels, and impressing others with my 'stuff'. Although I am not sure if I would be so quick to say this about the things that make life comfortable right now...I know that I am very blessed.

Servants thing about their work, not what others are doing.

Competition between God's servants is illogical for many reasons: We're all on the same team; our goal is to make God look good, not ourselves; we've been given different assignments; and we're uniquely shaped. -Rick Warren

It is interesting that I spent most of my life comparing myselves to others...setting myself to a standard that didn't exist. I am not like anyone else, therefore how can I compare myself?

Servants base their identity on Christ.

They willingly accept jobs that insecure people would consider "beneath" them. -Rick Warren

In this I have no problem. I often find myself doing the work that others don't want to do.

Servants think of ministry as an opportunity, not an obligation.

They enjoy helping people, meeting needs, and doing ministry. -Rick Warren

I do enjoy helping people, but often find that only if it doesn't infringe on my own time. This is something I need to work on. God's ministry is often not convenient.

Point to Ponder: To be a servant I must think like a servant.

Verse to Remember: Philipians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.

Question to Consider: Am I usually more concerned about being served or finding ways to serve others?

In general I am looking for ways to help others. Though I admit that I only helf if it is convenient, or within my time constraints. If I am not exerting myself too much then I help. Or if it is mutually beneficial. I used to be more charitable with my time. But time is very valuable. I need to rethink how I am spending it and on whom.

Subscribe to Bible-Reading
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Website Counters