personal journey

This was a journal of my progress through the book "The Purpose Driven Life"...after having read the book, I know that I've only begun to learn about God's plan for my life.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Day 35

Chapter Thirty-Five: God's Power in Your Weakness

The Bible is filled with examples of how God loves to use imperfect, ordinary people to do extraordinary things in spite of their weaknesses. -Rick Warren

How can you not love a God who would never expect perfection?

Our weaknesses encourage fellowship between believers. While strength breeds an independent spirit, our limitations show how much we need each other. -Rick Warren

I have spent most of my life trying to be independent, self sufficient. But always hitting a wall that states I cannot do it on my own. Eventually I end up in a circumstance that requires me to reach out and ask for help. Acknowledging, accepting my weaknesses has lead me to more friends than if I were to do it all on my own.

When you reveal your failures, feelings, frustrations, and fears you risk rejection. But the benefits are worth the risk. -Rick Warren

I have found that when I am in turmoil and I let others know that I am hurting, that is when I know who my friends are. They are the ones who call and ask how I am doing. They send cards, or emails and check up on me. They step forward...while others step back. Maybe they step back out of embarrassment for me...since I have been so open they may not know what to do or say. It makes others uncomfortable to hear about bad times. I find that really unfortunate...and something that I have had to work on over the years, being able to hold out my hand and offer it to someone who is hurting, even if it infringes on my own comfort level. Letting another person be weak. And be there for them because of their weaknesses not only for thier strengths.

The most essential quality for leadership is not perfection, but credibility. -Rick Warren

Considering my past...it may be a good thing that I did not carry many friends across the bridge from then to now. I have had to work hard at building my credibility. I know that I was wholly undependable at one point. And I know that I still need to work at this--because I am essentially selfish. However, I want to be trustworthy. Now, that I am here for a while, with no intent to up and move. My credibility with the people I know, and the people I will know is very important.

Point to Ponder: God works best when I admit my weakness.

Verse to Remember: 2 Corinthians 12:9a My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness.

Question to Consider: Am I limiting God's power in my life by trying to hide in my weaknesses? What do I need to be honest about in order to help others?

One of my most recent acknowledgements of weakness was to my husband in regards to my spending habits--and how they are attached to depression. I do not want to hurt my family by these spending splurges. So I needed to admit to him that it is a problem. And that I need help and prayer to find other ways to deal with my anxieties. It was a great relief to tell him...but it will be a long road still in overcoming this.

Yes, I was trying to hide this weakness for a long time...but it became too great.

Subscribe to Bible-Reading
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Website Counters